Furniture Makeover

3 comments

                           How to paint outdoor furniture


before
IMG_9603
…my 15 year old outdoor dining table and chairs. The set is in great shape, but the green color has faded and no longer coordinates with my other outdoor furnishings. It needed a color makeover.
IMG_9608
Armed with a few rolls of ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape and spray paint, I set out to make it happen.
after
How-to-Paint-outdoor-furniture-with-sling-seating
After some DIY’ing and a few rain delays, I am now the proud owner of what looks like a brand new set of outdoor furniture.
How-to-paint-outdoor-furniture
Without the use of  ScotchBlue Painter’s tape, I would have had to remove the seat slings from the frames – way too hard.  I simply protected the slings before I painted with the tape and newspaper.
Scotch-Blue-Painting-Tapes

How to Paint Outdoor Furniture with Sling Seats

Supplies Needed:
ScotchBlue™ Painter’s Tape  – I needed 2 rolls of the 2-inch wide tape to mask 6 chairs and used half a roll Advanced Multi-Surface tape with Edge Lock for the glass table top.  
Newspaper
Drop cloths
Sanding block with medium grit sandpaper
Spray paint – I used 4 cans of Rustoleum Hammered Brown for 6 chairs and the table. 
Small-tip paint brush for touch-ups
Bucket of soapy water and scrub brush to clean all surfaces before painting
 
Outdoor-Furniture-Makeover
Before bringing the chairs to my garage to paint, I ran a sanding block on all the metal surfaces to rough them up a bit. This will help with paint adhesion.  I then scrubbed them down with mold and mildew cleaner. I rinsed well and let them dry.
I lined my garage with drop cloths and started the job of masking the slings on each chair and the glass on the table so that no overspray paint would get on them.
How-to-Prep-outdoor-furniture-for-paint
I placed the ScotchBlue Painter’s tape right up to the edge of the metal frame of the chairs.  To make sure the tape is sealed and locked into place – run your fingertip over the edge of the tape.   Repeat taping on both sides of the top and underside of the chair.
Paint-prep-tips-and-tricks
I then covered the sling with newspaper and taped it on. I ran my fingertip over the edge on all the tape to make sure it was sealed.
How-to-use-spray-paint-on-furniture
This was the most time consuming part of the project.  Each chair took about 20 minutes to cover.   I set a table up in my garage to set the chairs on, making them easier to cover – no bending down required.
How-to-prepare-furniture-for-spray-painting
After a few hours – I had them all covered and ready for paint.
IMG_0411
I always spray paint in my garage – plenty of ventilation and light.  Even with that, it is important to make sure you wear a mask so you don’t breathe in the fumes and overspray.
how-to-paint-furniture-with-spray-paint
I sprayed 2 light coats on each chair, letting the first coat dry overnight before applying the second.  I let them dry in the garage for 24 hours and then brought them back outside.
Best-way-to-paint-outdoor-furniture
I kept the tape and newspaper on in case I would see that I missed a section.  I did – of course, so I just sprayed the small areas that I missed.
Outdoor-furntiure-best-way-to-paint
After I made sure there was no green showing, I removed the tape and the newspaper.
How-to-touch-up-paint-on-outdoor-furniture
There were a few small spots where the sling met the top of the chair frame that  were still green. I used  a small piece of  ScotchBlue Painter’s tape to mask the sling. I then sprayed the paint into the lid of the spray paint can and dabbed a small tipped paint brush into the lid to pick up some paint. I carefully brushed the paint on.
Painted-Outdoor-Furniture
The hammered brown finish updates the set – much better than the green. I also like it since it is a neutral color – it will go with any table setting color scheme I use.
Painting-Outdoor-furniture-before-and-after
It was worth the time and effort to give this classic outdoor dining table and chairs a brand new look.
Spray-painting-outdoor-furniture-tutorial
The Rustoleum Hammered Spray Paint truly provides a factory-like finish on metal.
Outdoor-Furniture-painting-tips
This weekend – the first of the summer, we have a family party planned for Saturday.  Usually they comment on my projects and I think they will notice something is different right away.
How-to-paint-metal-furniture


3 comments:

  1. thanks for the post, this really is going to help me as I have a set similar to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how your chairs came out. How many layers of newspaper did you use to protect the sling back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire what you have done here. I love the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that is working for you as well. Do you have any more info on this?
    unique gifts

    ReplyDelete